Frequently Asked Questions

How do I sign up for a class?

Email Course Coordinator Dave Storton:  Include which class you wish to enroll in and how many spots you want to reserve.  If you are paying by credit card, go to theSign Up page. Completing the payment will also reserve a spot in the class.

What is the course tuition?  

4-day Instructor Course: $1,280

2-day Off Road EVOC $640

1-day Basic Off Road $320

Custom Courses available (classroom defensive driving) call for pricing.

If paying by credit card, go to the Sign Up page to complete the process.

How do I pay the tuition?

You can send a check payable to The Driving Company to:

2310 Homestead Rd. Ste 225

Los Altos, CA 94024




You can pay by credit card via PayPal. Note that some government agencies do not allow PayPal use.  If your card is denied, it is a problem with your card and not PayPal.  Go to the SIGN UP Page to pay via credit card.


My agency needs a W9, can you send that?


Click here to download a W9 for The Driving Company:


Do you provide vehicles?

You need to train the in the vehicle you will be using in the course of your duties, so bring an agency vehicle. If you are flying in, vehicles are available for rent at $100 per day, per person.  These vehicles are stock SUVs and pickups.  If you are going to be using a Type III rig in the course of your duties, you should bring that type of vehicle. Training in a rented Toyota Tacoma, for example, will not help you learn to drive a Type III.If you are paying for vehicle rental in addition to the tuition, contact Course Coordinator Dave Storton ( to be issued a separate PayPal invoice.

What time does class start?​​​
The meeting time for EVOC classes at Hollister Hills SVRA is 8:30am.  All classes for the general public start 9am at the main entrance area.

Where do we meet? 

The meeting place is the main entrance to Hollister Hills SVRA at 7800 Cienega Rd in Hollister. This is about 3 miles from the intersection of Union and Cienega.   Look for the sign at the entrance to the park (not the barn that has Hollister Hills painted on it). Do not simply follow your GPS. This will put you in the driveway of the resident ranger rather than the main office area. Look for the sign and turn right on the entrance road!

Can I rent a vehicle?

Vehicles are available for rent for $100 per person per day for all courses. This is for use during class time and not for around town. If you are flying in, you will need a rental vehicle to get to Hollister and for getting around while you are here.  Email to arrange for vehicle rental.

What is for lunch?

For government agency EVOC classes, we provide lunch to the students. For general public classes and 1-day Basic classes, students will need to bring their own lunch. Although we will take a lunch break, there are no eating establishments anywhere close so bring your own lunch and snacks. We will have a cooler with drinks.

Vehicles are available for rent for $100 per person per day for all courses. This is for use during class time and not for around town. If you are flying in, you will need a rental vehicle to get to Hollister and for getting around while you are here.  Email to arrange for vehicle rental.

I am traveling in from out of the area. Where can I stay overnight?

There are a few places in Hollister to stay that are relatively close to the training area. These are basic hotels.   If you want a higher end hotel there is a Hilton Garden Inn in Gilroy which is about 30 min from the training area.


Ridgemark Golf and Resort

3800 Airline Hwy, Hollister, CA 95023

Best Western Inn
660 San Felipe Road, 
Hollister,  California   95023,  United States
Phone: 831/637-9248

 Hollister Inn
152 San Felipe Road, Hollister, California 95023
Hotel Front Desk: (831) 637-1641
Hotel Fax: (831) 637-8423 

I am flying in. What airport services this area?

San Jose Airport (SJC) is the nearest airport, which is about a 1 hour drive from the training area.  Even if you are ​renting a 4WD from The Driving Company for use during class, you will need a rental car to get from the airport and for use around town.

What should I wear to the class?

Wear sturdy boots with good tread on them.  We also recommend bringing a hat and sunscreen.  Wear clothing you do not mind getting dusty and dirty! 

Are there any prerequisites for this course?

No.  For those attending the Instructor Course it is helpful to have some off road or EVOC experience, but it is not required. You need to read the 4x4 Basics Workbook prior class.  Although you can order a printed copy, there is an online version to read. You will receive a printed copy on the first day of class.

Are these courses POST certified?

California POST has decided that off road courses need to follow the same safety guidelines as high speed pursuit driver training. After successfully training public safety personnel since 2003 with a perfect safety record, POST changed the requirements in 2016. POST now wants all vehicles to have roll cages, 5-point harnesses, and driver and passengers to wear helmets.  For POST agencies, we will still give you all the paperwork needed to get your own in-house basic course certified. Every area rep seems to have their own rules, so if your area rep understands you are not teaching high-speed driving, you may be able to get your course certified. There is no requirement that your instructors have a POST Trainer Certification to teach your in-house courses, only that they have the training. 

Do you conduct training in other places?  Can you come to our location to put on a class?

The Driving Company can conduct training in your area if you have a location we can use.  We have trained on location at Camp Pendleton, Fort Hunter Liggett, Marine Corps Logistics Base in Barstow, Pinnacles National Park, and Camp Parks to name a few.  We can also put on a 1-day Basic Course at Carnegie OHV Park near Livermore, CA.  Dave Storton even conducted a 2-phase training project over 2 months in Tajikistan, so anything is possible!

Can you do custom dates?

We can schedule custom training dates for you. We will need a minimum of 8 students, but if you have fewer that that we may be able to find the extra students to fill out the class for you. Call, and lets talk.

The Driving Company Has Trained Over 80 Agencies!

Alameda County Fire
Alamenda County Sheriff
Alameday County Fire
Arapahoe County Sheriff​
Atascadero Fire Department
Berkeley Fire Deptartment
California Department of Fish and Game
California Department of Forestry 
Cal Fire
California State Parks 
Camp Parks Fire Department
Calaveras County Sheriff
Central Fire Aptos
Camp Pendleton Fire Department
Construction Safety Academy
Contra Costa County
East Bay Regional Parks
El Segundo Fire
Fremont Fire Department
Graniterock Construction
Hollister Fire
Imperial County Sheriff
Kern County Sheriff's Department
Livermore / Pleasanton Fire Department
Los Angeles County D.A. Investigators
Los Angeles Police Department
Los Angeles Fire Department
Mariposa County Sheriff
Montecito Fire Department 
Moraga Orinda Fire District 
Napa Fire
Pacifica Police Department 
Piedmont Fire Department
Pinnacles National Monument 
Pleasanton Police Department
Sacramento City Fire Department
 Sacramento County Sheriff 
San Diego County Sheriff
San Diego Police Department
San Diego Fire / Lifeguard
San Jose Park Rangers
San Jose Police Department 
Santa Barbara County Fire 
Santa Clara Valley Water District
 Santa Clara County Park Rangers
Save Mount Diablo
City of Santa Maria
Sonoma County Sheriff 
Sonoma Fire Department
Stanislaus County Sheriff' Department
United State Embassy SecurityTajikistan
United States Forrest Service Tajikistan
Drug Control Agency Tajikistan
Border Security Tajikistan
Embassy Security for the U.S. Ambassador Tajikistan
Mid Peninsula Open Space District
Ministry of Security (KGB) Tajikistan
Ministry of the Interior Fort
Hunter Liggett Fire Department
Fort Hunter Liggett Security Activity
​Maui Fire Department
Marine Corp Logistic Base Barstow
Monterey County Sheriff
Nations Park Service
Oceano Fire Department 
Arroyo Grande Fire Department 
Pismo Fire Department 
San Luis Ambulance 
South Placer Fire Department 
California Mountains Recreation Authority 
California Department of Water Resources
United States Army
United States Marine Corps​​​​
San Ramon Valley Fire
Sonoma County Parks
Sonoma County Sheriff
USA Conservation
Winters Fire Department
Woodside Fire